0

College Livin'

Posted on Wednesday, August 7, 2013

I'm aiming to get some thoughts out while the subject is fresh on my mind, and I don't want to wait too much longer before doing so or the thoughts will just go bye-bye and never come back, knowing my brain.


I read this awesome piece from Art of Manliness (yes, I'm a woman, and yes, I subscribe to the Art of Manliness) about living frugally in college, and it made me realize - holy cow, I'm a college graduate, I should have some advice for someone somewhere!

Probably the only person who will read this is me when I have an 18-year-old who's graduating from high school and moving out into the world, and I will think to myself, I wrote a blog post about that, I wonder what I said. So, future me, here you go. Random assortment of advice to follow -- no guarantee that this will still work in 2040 or whatever year it is when you read this.

1. Don't be scared. Well, that's not exactly true. Just realize that everyone around you is just as scared as you are, and you're gonna get through it. Even those girls down the hall whose room looks like a fairy land, when your roommate informs you that she doesn't believe in dressers or hangers or washing her clothes -- yes, even they are scared. Don't be afraid to admit it. Being nervous just means you're ready to start this new chapter of your life.

don't be that guy
2. Try to make friends with the people you see a lot - your floormates, the people who eat at the same dining hall as you, some people in your classes. It will make hanging out with them and moving past the are-we-friends-or-just-acquaintances stage a lot easier when you see them in the bathroom at midnight.

3. In contrast to #2, being friends with people in your classes is easier for some than others. It was really difficult for me to move past Facebook friendship with pretty much anyone in my classes - I was never comfortable participating in classes until about week 12 of 15, so no one paid much attention to me. Don't worry, you'll find friends elsewhere if you don't have the nerve to talk to someone in your class.

4. Join SOMEthing. Be it a club, a church, a job (more later on that one), what have you -- hands down the best way to make friends. College isn't worth it if you don't find friends who are passionate about the same things as you are. Take advantage of the time you have with literally thousands of other people the same age all hanging out and not having worries.

5. Be smart with your money. That means yes, having fun with your friends when you need to, and taking out a loan or two if your parents can't support you -- college is worth every penny. But don't splurge needlessly on things like a fancy TV or a gaming console. Try to convince your roommate too...much easier that way and a lot easier on the wallet.
otherwise when you graduate you will have $0.00 and look like this 24/7
6. GET A JOB. Not only will this make it easier for your parents to trust you with their money (if they're paying or loaning or whatever) but you will gain valuable things you can't get any other way: resume experience and spending money. Most colleges have awesome job opportunities doing a whole lot of nothing -- man a desk in the library, check people in at your Rec center, staff a computer lab, do something! Most of them will let you do homework during your down time. Getting paid to study = best part of an on campus job.

7. Be crazy once in awhile. Jump in the school fountain even when it's illegal. Pull way too many all-nighters for no reason other than girl talk. Dare your friends to do stupid things.

8. Go to cultural events that are free. I can't tell you how much I wish I would have done this more while in college. See if your college or city offers discounts for major Broadway plays or musicals. Listen to the campus choir. Go to band concerts and cheap bars with live music. It's worth the awkwardness.

8.5 also learn the Carlton bc it's awesome

9. Live off campus after a year or two. Yes, living on campus is great as a freshman, and (I believe) vital to your development on campus. But the money you spend on on-campus housing can be put to a much better use for the future (a car, etc.). Find some friends and rent a house close to campus if you can. It's a fun and cheap way to practice running your own household.

10. Get as much job experience as you can. Yes this was a previous bullet but it deserves a second note! Employers look at your resume for experience in your field. If it's lacking, they're going to dismiss you, no matter what your GPA is or how many Greek things you experienced. If you have usable skills and years of experience, you are a prime hire. Get an unpaid internship if you absolutely have to -- do whatever it takes to get the foot in the door of your career path. During one semester, I worked 3 jobs (two internships and a research grant) because someone pushed me too -- and I'm so glad I did.

I'm sure I'll think of more later, especially since this turned out more mushy than I had planned. Oh well.

deuces, y'all.

Discussion

Leave a response